Area News Headlines
These news headlines brought to you by these fine sponsors:
Marlette Police pass along tips for Garage Sale safety
Thu, 22 Jul 2021 06:01:28 EDT
click on the picture to enlarge
Garage Sale Etiquette and Safety
For the Seller:
1. Don't use a cash box. It is too easy to steal. Instead, wear a
money belt/fanny pack or carpenter's 3 pocket apron.
2. If you do use a cash box - make sure it's lockable and not
transparent. Don't use a transparent plastic cash box because
people can see the money inside and may be tempted. Make
sure you keep it locked at all times.
3. If you do use a lockable and not transparent cash box - secure it
to a table. Attach it to the leg of the table with a strong cord or
chain. It won't stop someone grabbing and running off with it
but it will sure slow them down dragging the table behind them.
It may make them think twice about trying it in the first place.
4. Don't accept personal checks unless you know the person very
well. Even then, it may be less embarrassing if the check
bounces later to just not accept checks at all.
5. Watch out for counterfeit bills. Get familiar with how various bills
(especially $20) look and feel. When a bill is handed to you,
quickly check the security features, color and quality of the
printing. If possible, discretely compare the size of the bill with
another similar one.
6. Be suspicious if someone tries to buy something for $10 with a
$100 bill! Why do they only have $100 bills at a garage sale?
Same applies with $50's too.
7. Have Fun!
For the Buyer:
1. Please use kind driving and parking etiquette when attending
yard sales. Watch for preoccupied aggressive drivers zipping
into a parking spots, cars partially parked on a roadway, excited
children (the adult ones too).
2. Shoppers don't encroach on the neighbor's driveways or yards.
3. Shop with small bills rather than twenties and fifties.
4. Don't park on the other side of the street when there is
another car on the other side of the street. This leaves little or no
room for another vehicle to get through causing a bad traffic
5. Leave enough space between cars and pull as close to curb as
6. Don't pull into their driveway unless you are loading up a large
paid for item.
7. Don't walk across their lawn.
8. Don't toss stuff all over just because you are looking.
9. Have Fun!